Arizona Civil Legal Needs Community Survey

Civil legal organizations in Arizona are seeking your input to increase their ability to meet the civil legal needs of Arizona's lower income residents. Please complete this survey to assist in improving civil legal services in Arizona.

Encuesta de Necesidades Legales Civiles de Arizona

Las organizaciones legales civiles en Arizona buscan su opinión para aumentar su capacidad de satisfacer las necesidades legales civiles de los residentes de bajos ingresos de Arizona. Por favor complete esta encuesta para ayudar a mejorar los servicios legales civiles en Arizona.

Health and Benefits

Arizona Driver's License: Veterans Designation

United States veterans and active-duty service members may have a Veterans Designation on their Arizona driver license, commercial driver license, identification card, or instruction permit. Certain U.S. veterans and active-duty service members may also be eligible for other benefits through the Arizona Department of Transportation (ADOT).

Who is eligible for Veteran Designation?

A Veteran Designation on an Arizona driver’s license or identification card is available to U.S. veterans or active-duty service members who can prove their service and good standing.

Photo ID

If approved, the word “VETERAN” will be printed on the front of the service member's license.

How do I apply for veteran designation?

To apply for a Veteran designation, the initial application should be submitted to any MVD office with one of the following documents to prove status: 

  • Active-duty military identification card; 
  • American Legion card; 
  • Certificate of Honorable Discharge; 
  • Disabled American Veteran card; 
  • Form DD 214, 215, 2 (Retired), 2 (Reserve), or DD 217 (originals or copies); 
  • Inactive duty card; 
  • Military Officers of America card;
  • Military Order of the Purple Heart;
  • Statement of Honorable Service from the Department of Veteran Affairs or
  • Arizona Department of Veteran’s Services; 
  • Veterans Administration Medical card; 
  • Veterans of Foreign Wars card; or 
  • Vietnam Veterans of America card.
To apply, print the application for a driver’s license and submit the application at an MVD location Application Form
Once the Veteran designation is approved and a new card is issued, replacements may be ordered online at and any replacement cards should have the VETERAN designation.

Is there a fee to get Veteran Designation?

There is no fee associated for requesting or to include Veteran Designation on a service member’s card. However, applying for a driver’s license or identification card does include charges:

Driver License/Motorcycle License
  • Ages 16-39: $25 
  • Ages 40-44: $20 
  • Ages 45-49: $15
  • Age 50 and older and five-year: $10 
  • Limited license: (military or students) $10 

What can I use Veterans Designation on my card for?

The Veterans Designation on an Arizona driver’s license or identification card may be useful for a veteran who wants to receive discounts offered to veterans by stores, businesses, and restaurants. 

What can I NOT use Veterans Designation on my card for?

Service members may not use their Veterans Designation to: 

  • Prove eligibility for any federal benefits;

  • Access military bases or installations; 

  • Access military commissaries or exchanges;  

  • Check into a VA (Veterans Affairs) hospital;  

  • Show as proof of retirement from Armed Forces; or 

  • Show as proof of wartime service to get a special license plate from the Motor Vehicle Department.

Are there other types of identification cards veterans can apply for?



Service members may apply for a Veteran ID Card (VIC), which is a type of photo identification that may be used by a veteran to show their involvement in the military. 

To learn more about VIC and how to apply: Veteran ID Card

Are there other benefits I can get as a service member at the MVD?


Commercial Driver License Waiver

Service members interested in applying for a Commercial Driver License (CDL) may be eligible for a CDL Skills Test Waiver.  

To be eligible the service member should meet two conditions: 

  • Is either on active duty or separated within the last year under honorable conditions, and 
  • Certify that they operated a commercial motor vehicle (CMV) or equivalent for at least two years immediately preceding discharge or applying for the waiver. 

Service-Related License Plates

Service members interested in applying for a service-related license plate may learn about eligibility and how to apply here: Service-Related License Plates


To Apply

  1. Complete application for Military Skills Test Waiver.
  2. Return completed application to an MVD CDL office to begin the CDL knowledge testing process.
  3. Applications are reviewed for eligibility, identity, and authorized presence requirements.

Arizona Vehicle Licensing Benefits


Arizona offers tax breaks on vehicle licensing for survivors of military personnel and first responders killed in the line of duty. Arizona also offers a special military exemption to members of the armed forces who are deployed overseas. 

Service members interested in these benefits can learn more: Arizona Vehicle Licensing Benefits

For service members stationed outside of Arizona and who want to renew their license or identification card, they may send a notarized driver license application, copies of their driver's license and military identification card, and payment of $10. These materials need to be sent to: 

Motor Vehicle Division 
P.O. Box 2100 
MD 510 
Phoenix, AZ 85001 

This website has been prepared for general information purposes only. The information on this website is not legal advice. Legal advice is dependent upon the specific circumstances of each situation. Also, the law may vary from state-to-state or county-to-county, so that some information in this website may not be correct for your situation. Finally, the information contained on this website is not guaranteed to be up to date. Therefore, the information contained in this website cannot replace the advice of competent legal counsel licensed in your jurisdiction.

Privacy Policy | Terms of Use