On June 8, 2019, Arizona Governor Doug Ducey signed House Bill (HB) 2358 into law. When HB 2358 goes into effect in late August, it will become somewhat easier for residential landlords across Arizona to evict low-income residential tenants for nonpayment of rent even if the landlord has already received partial payment.

What does HB 2358 do?

HB 2358 alters Sections 33-1310 and 33-1371 of the Arizona Revised Statutes (A.R.S.), which form part of the Arizona Residential Landlord and Tenant Act (ARLTA).

The ARTLA is the set of laws which govern the relationship between landlords and tenants in rented apartments, condos, single family dwellings, and certain other kinds of homes. (The ARLTA does not apply to mobile home parks, unless the same landlord owns both the lot space and the mobile home, in which case the ARLTA does apply.)

What did the ARLTA say before HB 2358 was enacted?

Under the ARLTA, residential tenants are required to pay their rent on time and in full (A.R.S. 33-1368(B)) and landlords are permitted to reject “partial” payments (A.R.S. 33-1371(A)).

However, the ARLTA has long stated that if and when a landlord chooses to accept partial payment from a tenant for any given month (or other rental period), then the landlord may not evict the tenant for nonpayment of rent for that month – unless at the time the partial payment is accepted the landlord and the tenant agree in writing that if the balance of the rent has not been paid by a certain date, then the landlord will seek the tenant’s eviction for nonpayment (A.R.S. 33-1371(A)).

How does HB 2358 change the ARLTA?

HB 2358 changes the ARLTA by stating that “housing assistance payments” are not partial payments.

What this means is that a landlord who has received part – even most – of a tenant’s rent in the form of a subsidy from a third party may nevertheless seek to evict the tenant for nonpayment of rent if and when the rest of the tenant’s rent is not paid on time and in full.

What counts as a housing assistance payment?

Under HB 2358, a housing assistance payment is “any payment made to the landlord by a government agency, a public housing authority or any third party on behalf of a government agency, a public housing authority or any for-profit entity pursuant to a separate written rental assistance or subsidy contract between the landlord and the government agency, public housing authority or third party on behalf of a government agency, public housing authority or for-profit entity.”

In other words, a housing assistance payment is any rent subsidy that the landlord receives from a government agency or a public housing authority or a for-profit organization according to a written contract between the landlord and that agency/authority/organization.

What does not count as a housing assistance payment?

Under HB 2358, payments made by faith-based organizations, community action agency programs, and nonprofit entities do not count as housing assistance payments for this purpose.

An example

Here is an example of how the change to the ARLTA could affect a low-income tenant:

Before HB 2358, if a tenant were renting an apartment for $800 per month, and a third party was subsidizing that rent by making a payment of $650 each month directly to the landlord, then the landlord could not seek to evict the tenant for nonpayment of rent even if the tenant failed to pay the tenant’s own $150 portion, because the landlord would have already received a “partial payment” of $650.

After HB 2358, however, such a payment – so long as it meets the definition (above) of a “housing assistance payment” – will not count as a partial payment, so even if the landlord has already received the $650 subsidy, the landlord will still be able to seek the tenant’s eviction for nonpayment of rent if and when the tenant fails to pay their own $150 portion on time and in full.

Why is it important for residential tenants to pay their rent on time and in full?

A residential tenant who fails to pay their rent on time and in full may find themselves facing eviction.

Once a landlord has provided a tenant with a written 5-day pay or quit notice, the tenant has 5 days to either (a) pay all outstanding rent as well as any reasonable late fees that were specified in a written rental agreement or (b) return possession of the rented dwelling to the landlord – by notifying the landlord of their intention to vacate the dwelling within the 5 days, by moving themselves and their personal belongings out of the dwelling, by returning the dwelling to the condition it was in when the rental agreement began (ordinary wear and tear excepted), and by returning the keys to the landlord.

A tenant who remains in possession of a rented dwelling after receiving a 5-day notice becomes liable not only for all outstanding rent as well as any reasonable late fees that were specified in a written rental agreement, but also costs and reasonable attorneys’ fees (A.R.S. 33-1368(B)).

Even if a tenant vacates the rented dwelling after the landlord has filed an eviction complaint with the court but before the court hearing takes place, the tenant will still be evicted – and have an eviction judgment placed on their record – unless they pay the total amount that the landlord is seeking, including costs and attorneys’ fees, before the case is heard by the judge.

Tenants who have eviction judgments placed on their records often have difficulty finding housing – especially subsidized housing – in the future.

To where may a residential tenant turn for legal assistance if they believe that their landlord is seeking their eviction for nonpayment of rent despite having already accepted partial payment (excluding a housing assistance payment)?

There are links to free and low-cost legal services at: http://www.azlawhelp.org/accessToJustice.

Sources and further reading

Arizona Department of Housing: https://housing.az.gov/

Arizona Department of Housing – “Arizona Residential Landlord and Tenant Act” (pre-HB 2358): https://housing.az.gov/sites/default/files/documents/files/Landlord-Tenant-Act-ADOH-Publication-July-2018.pdf

State of Arizona – House Bill 2358: https://apps.azleg.gov/BillStatus/GetDocumentPdf/471267



What is a stipulated judgment?

A “stipulated judgment” – which is sometimes also called a “consent judgment” – is a voluntary agreement between the parties involved in a legal dispute that operates to settle the case. First, each party specifically states – or “stipulates” – in a signed writing that they wish to be legally bound by the terms of the agreement. That agreement is then brought to a judge, who reviews it to make sure that its content is consistent with the law and is fair to both parties. Once the judge has approved the agreement, it becomes an official judgment of the court, which means that the parties must obey it.

A quitclaim deed is a type of real property deed. This article provides a brief introduction to the topic of real property deeds and describes the major differences between quitclaim deeds and warranty deeds.

The Military Family Relief Fund offers funding to families of currently deployed and veteran servicemembers who have suffered hardship due to deployment in a combat zone. Funds are limited, and decided by 12 person advisory committee. If you believe that you or your family may qualify and would like further information about the program please click here.


Under Arizona law, the presence of bedbugs in a hotel or other place where sleeping accommodations are offered to the public is considered to be a public nuisance which is dangerous to the public health. Any person who maintains such a nuisance will be served with an order requiring that they remove the bedbugs immediately (A.R.S. § 36-601(A)).

Adapted Housing Grants help Veterans with a permanent and total service-connected disability purchase or build an adapted home or to modify an existing home to account for their disability. Learn More 

We have all seen famous actors on television advertising reverse mortgages and talking about how they provide seniors with a stream of income for their old age by tapping into the equity in their homes.  It sounds great!  But is it?  While there may be real benefits for some people, reverse mortgages come with high costs and other serious drawbacks you need to consider.  The more you know about reverse mortgages, the better equipped you will be to make a sound financial decision about something as important as your home.

What is housing discrimination?

Housing discrimination is discrimination against any person seeking to rent a home or to purchase a home or to secure financing for a home or to sell a home on the basis of their race, color, national origin, religion, sex, family status, or mental or physical disability.

After a foreclosure is complete and the home is sold, a borrower may still owe money if the sale price of the house was not large enough to cover the amount owed on the loan, this is called a deficiency.  In many cases borrowers are protected from a deficiency by Arizona’s anti-deficiency statutes, which prevent lenders from pursuing the borrower if the home is sold for less than the total owed on the home loan. 

Since 1992, The U.S. Department of Veterans’ Affairs has offered a direct loan program for eligible Native American Veterans who want to buy or build a home on federal trust lands.  Private mortgage lenders will not make home loans for houses located on federal trust land. That includes the private lenders who make traditional VA loans.  Banks and mortgage companies are in business to make money.  They know that tribes are sovereign nations where state laws do not apply.  That makes it almost impossible for them to get a security interest in a home located on federal trust land.  How do they foreclose if the borrower defaults? With no private mortgage funding available, Native American Veterans living on the reservation needed a mechanism to help them purchase a home.

Page 1 of 2

This website has been prepared for general information purposes only. The information on this website is not legal advice. Legal advice is dependent upon the specific circumstances of each situation. Also, the law may vary from state-to-state or county-to-county, so that some information in this website may not be correct for your situation. Finally, the information contained on this website is not guaranteed to be up to date. Therefore, the information contained in this website cannot replace the advice of competent legal counsel licensed in your jurisdiction.

Privacy Policy | Terms of Use